Ease Your Worries Before Planning a Pregnancy With
Your DNA + Your Partner’s DNA = Your Baby’s DNA
Blood tests and health checkups are both tools that allow us to be aware of our current health condition. However, as a potential carrier, you will not display any symptoms that come with the particular disease. This is why it is important to test for genetic mutations before making the big decision to conceive.
Our DNA Explorer Carrier package provides just that! The package includes a comprehensive description of your potential carrier genes and individual comments from a genetic counsellor.
Did You Know?
We All Carry Gene Variants & It’s Normal
However, carriers of recessive genetic disorders typically do not show any symptoms, so you won’t know if it’s there.
Some Gene Variants Affect Our Children
When both parents are carriers of the same disorder, there is a 25% chance that their child would inherit the disorder.
Family History Is Not Everything
Most children with inherited genetic disorders have no known family history. Thus, it may be shocking for parents when their child is diagnosed with genetic disorders.
13 reports on recessive genetic disorders based on your DNA
- Biotinidase deficiency
- Gaucher disease
- Beta thalassemia
- Niemann-Pick's disease
- Maple syrup urine disease
- Wilson's disease degeneration
- Sickle cell anemia
- Tay-Sachs disease
- Spinal muscular atrophy
- Severe combined immunodeficiency disease
- X-linked severe combined immunodeficiency
How It Works
From your toenails to the color of your hair, every part of your body contains genetic information.
With your genetic profile, combined with your health goals and current lifestyle, you will get a personalised report with actionable insights!
Why It Is Important To See A Genetic Counsellor
Results from the carrier test can be quite difficult to comprehend. Although there are many online services that offer tutorials, they cannot rival the immense knowledge that a genetic counsellor will possess. Genetic counsellors are experienced in the field, they interpret your results and give you advice accordingly. They are able to answer your genetic-related questions, from the most basic ones, such as “What are mutations?” to the more robust ones.
If you receive a positive result, they can offer you a sympathetic ear and assist you in managing your emotions. When there is a need for healthcare providers or even support groups, they will point you in the right direction.
Explore Your DNA Today.
Uncover your genetic predispositions. Manage your lifestyle with personalised recommendations.
Carrier testing is a procedure that identifies carriers of gene mutations for specific genetic disorders. A carrier refers to an individual who has one faulty copy of a gene and one normal copy and they typically show no symptoms. When both parents are carriers, there is a 25% chance that their child would inherit the disorder and a 75% chance that the child will not inherit the disorder.
The best time to go for carrier testing is before planning a pregnancy. However, going through it during the early stages of pregnancy is also acceptable. This is because knowing any prior risks would significantly lower your probability of having an affected child and will also assist you in making more informed pregnancy choices.
Yes, family history does not tell you the whole story. Most affected children do not have family members who suffer from the same disorder.
No, this process does not involve drawing blood. We can obtain your DNA from the buccal epithelial (skin on your inner cheeks) cells and white blood cells found in your saliva.
No, once you've made a purchase, we'll send you a saliva collection kit and you can provide your saliva sample at the comforts of your own home. Once you've collected your saliva in the given tube, all you need to do is send it back to us with the provided prepaid envelope (no extra cost!).
Yes, this test is a screening test, meaning it reduces your risk of being a carrier but does not eliminate it. This is because some individuals are carriers of rare mutations that might not be detected by routine screening. Although very low, there is still a risk for someone to have a child with a recessive disorder even with a negative result.
When someone is a carrier, there is no effect on their health. However, there is a high chance that their family in the next generation may suffer from the associated disorder.
If both you and your partner are carriers, there is a 25 percent chance that your child will be affected with the disorder [Figure 1]. This is why it’s important for both you and your partner to go for carrier screening.
We want to empower you to take charge of your health.
First, we want to help you start by fully understanding your current health condition. Once you have a complete 360degree view of your health and wellnes, it becomes easier for you to identify the areas that requires improvement.
Working towards a healthier lifestyle is not an easy journey, especially with the vast information out there catered towards all kinds of health/wellbeing.
Every individual is different, which is why our reports will contain personalised information just for you.
- Expanded Carrier Screening and Frequently Asked Questions - Grey Genetics. (2020). Retrieved from
- Genetic Counseling | CDC. (2020). Retrieved from
- Stenehjem, D., Au, T., Sainski, A., Bauer, H., Brown, K., & Lancaster, J. et al. (2018). Impact of a genetic counseling requirement prior to genetic testing.
BMC Health Services Research, 18(1). doi: 10.1186/s12913-018-2957-5
- Ten questions to ask before doing a carrier screen | Eugene Australia Blog. (2020). Retrieved from
- Testing, G., & I Have My Results, W. (2020). NSGC > Genetic Testing > I Have My Results, What Happens Next?. Retrieved from